The Around Us feature is a great way to display relevant points of interest within your app, drawing attention to hot spots in the area. Users can easily view nearby locations, access business contact info, and get addresses, and GPS directions.
You can use the Around Us feature to promote local businesses, highlighting them in the app. You can also set up referral agreements with businesses and ask users to mention that your app referred them.
This article details the process of building and customizing the Around Us location feature.
The Around Us feature is a great choice for industries such as:
- Community management
- Local businesses directory
Adding the Around Us Feature
- Navigate to the Build section of your dashboard to begin the setup process, then follow the steps below.
- Click Add Feature.
- Choose the Around Us feature from the menu, then click Select.
- Name your feature, then click Add. Your new feature will now appear in the left-side menu.
Configuring the Content
- Under Screen Info, change your Screen/Feature Name or leave as-is. This is the name that will appear in the app's feature menu (e.g. "Local Spots" as opposed to "Around Us").
- Under Categories, fill in the category names for your POIs (e.g. "Restaurants") and select the category colors. The POIs will be color-coded based on their category.
- Under Point(s) of Interest, click Add Point Of Interest. Complete the fields below, then click Add. Repeat this process for each POI.
- Name: Give your POI a name.
- Category (Color): Select the category for this POI.
- Description: Use the WYSIWYG editor to customize the POI's description.
- Website: Enter the URL for the POI’s website, this URL should include the
https://prefix. We recommend you use a domain with a valid security certificate enabled, with the
https://prefix, otherwise you might get an error displaying the embedded page. If the client or business doesn’t have an official website, a Yelp or Facebook page will work just as well.
- Email: Input a valid email address for this POI. When users click the one-touch Email button, this email address will auto-populate in the To field.
- Telephone: Input a valid phone number for this POI. When users click the one-touch Call button, this is the phone number it will dial.
- Thumbnail Image: Upload a thumbnail image (140x140px in PNG format) for this POI.
- Address: Search for the address in the “Enter a query” field or enter the coordinates in the Latitude/Longitude fields below. When you use the coordinates option, Google Maps will pull the nearest address.
- Distance Type: Specify whether distance should appear in Kilometers or Miles.
- Click Save at the top right when you're done.
Important: It should be noted here that the Around Us Feature allows up to 3 different business categories. This means that you will have to select three main categories and then add the Points of Interest.
If you would like to create a Custom Design for this feature instead of using the Global Design, you can check the Overriding The Global Design For A Specific App Feature KB article.